Sunday, September 11, 2011

Welcome to EDUC 578

It is with excitement and a little bit of anxiety that I welcome you to your new journey that is EDUC 578. The course is called Learning and Technology, which I am sure that you are all well aware of by this point.  In order to grasp the course, I think it is a good idea to dissect the two main words of the course.  I am very interested in the concept of how anyone learns, where learning occurs, and the context that best provides any learning opportunity.  My real area of expertise is more toward the technology aspect of the title.  I have been a technology resource teacher for the San Diego County Office of Education's Juvenile Court and Community Schools for the past three and a half years.  I have been a teacher for around 15 years and an adjunct professor of education at California State University San Marcos since 2005.  This is my first semester at USD and I am very excited.
Upward
Upward by Ayat83 on Flikr
My goal for this course is to consider all aspects of learning, both personally, and for your students.  I see technology as a medium of instruction as well as a driving force behind most school reform.  I am less concerned about specific technology tools than I am about how to utilize technology to enhance learning and instructions.  The tools that will be in the classroom in ten or even five years have probably not even been invented yet. This is why it is more important to get a broader picture of the concept of technology integration in schools without limiting ourselves to current technology.  
A lot of what we are going to focus on is you as a learner utilizing technology and then you as a leader either integrating or facilitating technology in education.  I believe that if you can be introspective about how you learn and the roll technology can play in your learning and personal and professional growth, you will be better equipped to evaluate the use of technology in schools and lead others in this brave new world.  
The anxiety comes from never having taught this course before.  I have completely redesigned the course so the collective weight of it's success or failure lies primarily on my shoulders.  I welcome the challenge as I welcome all of you to a new adventure.
peace,
jeffery heil

No comments:

Post a Comment