Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Assignment: Class 2

I hope you are getting more comfortable with your PLN tools this week.  I know that it can be a bit overwhelming, but I really appreciated everyone's willingness to dive right in (including Dr. Lattimer ;-)

I  do not expect you all to be experts with the tools by any means, but I do hope that you are consciously trying to use them.  I would really like to see you begin to tweet with the hashtag #usdedu so that we can start to hopefully inspire others to join us in the information sharing around technology, learning, and education.  I would also like to see you begin to utilize Diigo as a tool to bookmark and/or annotate any "interesting" sites that you may come across. . .All this is to say that I really want to to begin to give some serious consideration as to what passion you would like to pursue this semester.  You do not have to have a decision by Monday, but I hope that you can rule some areas out and have a few that you would like to discuss with the class.

As I am unsure of whether or not you will all receive the books in enough time to read, I want to have you read some websites that discuss the learning theory of Lave and Wenger.  I would like you to read from Wenger himself as well as a brief synopsis inFed.  I would also like you to find one other source that may disagree with their concept of situated learning or communities of practice.  Once you have read the pages, I would like you to not only reflect on the theory, but I would also like you to consider its application in your PLN. . .  This should be around 500 words and published as a blog post with an appropriate title.  I would also like you to share your finding/links to our Diigo group, Learning and Technology.

Lastly, I want you to discuss any participation you had with either your fledgling PLN or use of any of the PLN tools. . .

Please answer the following question in the comments section.

Question:  Which PLN tool are you most excited about & why?

10 comments:

  1. Hello!!

    I have a few questions for you that I have thought of since Monday's class and here they are:
    1) How do I import delicious, or computer bookmarks to diigo?

    2) How to add the globe to my blog? Do I just search for a particular widget?

    3) How do I add my twitter information to my blog?? You mentioned something about it to me while we were discussing Twitter, but I didn't quite understand it all!

    4) Can I add my notes (in notes format/word format) to my blog and have it “live” and update when I save? I'm not too familiar with google docs, and just used it last week for a group collaboration powerpoint assignment.

    Thanks,
    Annie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Annie,
    Thanks for the awesome questions. Most of them I planned on answering in class, but I can answer here as well.

    1. In the tools section of Diigo under Web Services, is where you will find how to import bookmarkls: http://www.diigo.com/tools/import_all

    2. The globe is from a site called Revolver Maps (revolvermaps.com). Choose the standard globe and it will go in a widget (html/javascript) on your sidebar. Ensure your sidebar width is 220px.

    3. On the home screen in Twitter in very small print at the bottom of the right column, you will click on resources. There you can put tweet buttons, follow buttons, etc. on your blog: http://twitter.com/about/resources

    4. I like this idea! You can take notes in GoogleDocs, publish as a webpage, and then create a page on your blog where you would put the link to your notes page. You would continue to take notes in GoogleDocs, but your notes would then be shared on your blog! I really, really, like the idea of collaborative note sharing!

    Hope this helps. I'll clear up any questions in class on Monday!
    paz,
    jeff

    ReplyDelete
  3. So I'm not quite clear on where to post which questions. I understand that the blog is the reflection on theory of the two articles plus the one article we found and how it can be applied to our PLN. I also (seem to) understand that in this comment section we are to answer the question about which PLN tool we are most excited to use and why. I am wondering where the discussion of the use of our PLN tools goes...here, or in our blog?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Question: Which PLN tool are you most excited about & why?

    I have to say that so far, I am most excited about the blog. For me this is because I can see myself using it with my ESL Writing class in the near future. Next semester I may try creating a class blog and having students post homework assignments to it. I assume there are many other cool ways to use the other PLN tools with my class that I'll hopefully figure out soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The post question is a comment on my blog. The weekly assignment should be a blog post on your blog. The lastly part does go on your blog post. . .I can see how it can be confusing. . .sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The PLN tool that I am most excited about using at this point is the blog. I think that the reason for this is because it is the one that I am most comfortable using and I have been able to do the most with it in terms of playing around, changing settings, exploring, etc. I think blogs are a great way for students to answer questions and explore their thinking, and is a great writing motivator in a time when writing is usually dreaded in school. I think by using this medium in the classroom that writing will become more exciting and at the same time students will gain more experience in the technology world.
    On a side note, I'm really excited about exploring Diigo more, because I feel that will be a really useful tool for me now and in the future. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think the tool that I am most excited to use would be Twitter. Twitter is also probably the last thing I would use, if it had not been for this class. I feel that I am most excited about it because it is the one that I am the least knowledgeable at the present moment. I seem to have a grasp on the other PLNs introduced in class, but Twitter seems the most foreign to me. It's one that I am going to have to learn by doing and committing myself to doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The PLN tool that I am most excited to learn about is my blog. I have very little experience with my previous blog and attempted to do more with my blog, but I never found the time to actually sit down and really learn blogger. Since the 2 past classes, I think I've learned so much more about blogger than I did on my own in the past few months! I am also excited to learn and use twitter. I've always been told that there is so much more to twitter than following people and seeing similar posts as we see on Facebook. Now, I just need to figure out the right people to follow!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I SOOOOO missed the "question" so I'm sorry this was so late. I am most excited to use Diigo for my future research and to use as a professional development tool with fellow staff, however I don't know if I'm as excited to use it in my classroom (just yet). I look forward using my blog in my classroom and in a social aspect thought. I think I can connect with a lot of more people in a genuine way.

    But overall this is going to be a weird transition because this last year I have tried to decrease my "social networks" and now Im supposed to follow each network under the sun.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think for me I am most excited about Diigo. I have never used it before and find it to be very fun. I wish I had known about this tool during my previous schooling, it would have made my life much easier. I love that you can group and highlight within the document and it pops out. I love how Diigo works and am so excited that we were introduced to it.

    ReplyDelete