Monday, November 14, 2011

If a Class Occurs and No one Shows, Did Learning Happen?

Zoe as Ruler of Camelot?
Here at EDUC 578, we have always been small but mighty.  Tonight; however, based on the DMs and emails I have received I think we are going to be minuscule and perhaps not quite as mighty as we usually are. . .But that's okay.  My first reaction whenever I receive a number of students opting out of class for whatever reason is to take it personal.  "Is it me?"  This quickly turns into the professional. . ."Is it the course or the content?"  Both reactions are natural to those who pride themselves on their teaching ability as well as the ability to construct a course that is meaningful for their students.  I'm nothing if not both a bit self-absorbed and deeply concerned about creating an environment that promotes intrinsic motivation.  I want students to want to learn, often in spite of being in/at a learning institution.  After the third message I received from a student, I  began to think. . .In this class, more so than in any other class I have taught in the past, I believe I have created an environment that doesn't really require either a teacher or a building from which my EDUC 578 student can learn.  I was given the freedom to follow my passion (thank you Dr. Lattimer). . .to teach a course on learning and technology that required students to be self-directed learners, to go out into the vastness of the Internet and create meaning for themselves, to examine how they learn and how this might be applied in their future classrooms. This opportunity was two parts amazing and one part, "holy cow," can I pull this off?

This is what I believe.   I want my students to strip down what they "know" about education and learning until it lies in front of them naked and exposed.  This is the starting point.  Here is where we can actually see schools and learning for what they are: social constructs.  Under such light, it should become obvious that neither schools nor learning has to be this way.  The past structures and beliefs about school and learning served a small minority well, while alienating a large number of those, who, like my mother, came to believe that "We ain't school people."  I never truly understood how my mother could come to this conclusion about her entire extended family until I saw the data of who was successful and who was not in school.  It's sadly predictable who succeeds and who fails in our schools, and all too often based on the color of one's skin.

Have I accomplished my mission for my EDUC 578 students?  I'm not sure.

This is what I know.  I am amazingly energized when I read our EDUC 578 blogs.  From innovation week to reflections on class readings, to the simple excitement of being re-tweeted, I see a group of women who have made an honest attempt to try and create meaning for themselves.  They are authentic and open and not afraid to be wrong, or have opinions.  To the best of their abilities they are trying to follow their passion in education and create meaning.  Whether this be teaching ESL to adult learners, math to middle schoolers, or examining the inequity in our education system they are doing their best to follow the advice of a somewhat wacky new professor with a vision.  I realize that this style doesn't fit everyone.  It is often hard to deal with so little structure when structure is main component of the social construct of education.  It is also hard to follow a passion if you are not quite sure of exactly what that passion is. . .but I still appreciate the effort.

Last week, I ask the class to take a look at the essential questions of the course:
1. How does learning occur?
2. In what environments can technology promote learning?
3. What is the process by which technology enhances learning?

Tonight, I think we can put this to the test.  As I mentioned last week, I don't think we need to add any more new ideas to the rest of the semester.  I expect that the current process of reading, tweeting, bookmarking, writing, commenting, and growing your PLNs will suffice.  Let's rephrase some of the essential questions: Does a student have to attend class to learn?  Can the environment which promotes learning be a coffee shop or a comfortable chair at home? Do computers and the Internet change the way learning happens?

My answer to all of the questions are all predicated on one thing:  intrinsic motivation.  If I have a strong desire to learn, whether it be to cook, run a marathon, become a Pinterest Ninja, or master physics, the resources exist for me to learn them without a formal teacher or a physical school to attend.  Technology is not the only way to accomplish this, but it is one way.  It is a medium that can connect me to informal teachers around the globe who have the expertise and desire to share. It can create community and foster collaboration the size and scope of which would be hard to replicate in any other way.

As far as me letting go. . .I'm working on it. I have 46 years of the old model of education and learning that creeps into the recesses of my subconscious when I let my guard down.  I don't really believe in external motivators like grades to enhance learning, but in the current carrot and stick model of education, some people find it hard to want to participate if their in no external outcome for their effort.  If I allow my students to grade themselves, what are the consequences for not coming to class, for not completing some of the expected work, for not learning?  Part of me wants to say that a failure to learn is its own natural consequence.
When my sixth grader asked me, "Daddy are you proud of my for getting straight A's?"
I replied, "Zoe, I'm more interested in what you learned than your grades."
This didn't go over so well for my extrinsically motivated 11-year-old. It saddens me that she is already a product of the system. . .and this is with a father who is an educator that fights the status quo.
I don't have all the answers. . .  I may never have them, but I do know that this experiment has shown me that it is possible, that students can follow their passion and learn at the same time, and that I can act as a guide and not be the sole arbiter of knowledge and learning.

And you are learning, right? Right?

6 comments:

  1. This is definitely one of the best classes that I've had at USD and probably the top class that I actually HATE to miss!!! I feel like there are so many new things that happen in our class and if I do have to miss a class, I feel like I've missed out on something cool!!! So, definitely not you or the class!!!!

    I have however, really enjoyed how we are able to be given the freedom to be self-directed learners and follow our personal passions or interests and go from there. I think for all of us, it is a scary feeling to not have set rules, rubrics, formats, etc. because that is what we have been so accustomed to. I think having no boundaries allows us to really be authentic and allows us to use our creativity in our own way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd like to use this quote for a white paper I am working on.

    If I have a strong desire to learn, whether it be to cook, run a marathon, become a Pinterest Ninja, or master physics, the resources exist for me to learn them without a formal teacher or a physical school to attend.

    Is that ok? @eduk8andlead

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I am definitely learning. Not only did I learn about how to create a PLN and use technology more efficiently, but I learned how to be a different kind of student (and hopefully that will translate into a different kind of teacher). I learned that I can learn in a non-structured environment (who knew?) and to be okay with it. This was not an easy task for me because I am such a planner and rely on structure in a classroom. I like to know what is happening when it is happening and have a hard time when things change. Taking this class forced me to see learning in a different perspective and in turn taught me that there are other ways of learning and although I am geared a certain way, it doesn't mean everyone else is (which has huge implications for me as a future teacher). All in all, this class has taught me a lot about myself and my perceptions of learning and education and has broadened my views in terms of these things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well..... Just kidding.
    This class has definitely shown me how I myself am a product of the system but that change is happening. We are going into a Conceptual age not only in business, but also in education. I think I am learning ways to help students deepen their understanding and how important intrinsic motivation is more important to education than the extrinsic motivation of grades.

    I believe that as a new teacher I have found how I think students should learn, but I also think that in this day and age, and in this economy, we are the disruptive innovators of the education world. It will be awhile until our ideas of less or no grades, and choosing what students want to learn will be part of the educational model. There may be schools out there that are open to these, but after my most recent observation, the traditional model still rules america. Standards, financial struggles, core subjects, lack of the arts, standardized testing, grades, rubrics, these are what the educational reality is today. I think that I have learned SOO much from this class, but the ability to implement ever part to its full capacity....that will come later. It will take baby steps until the educational economy has created an open mind. HOpefully we are the ones to burst the bubble and opens the conceptual age of education with open arms.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think it's possible to teach without ego so your reaction to our "small but mighty" class size seems natural to me. Heck, I take it personally if my students don't appear rapt with attention 100% of the time. I also used to be so incredibly uncomfortable with silence in the classroom that I rarely let it happen. This class truly has caused me to strip down my perceptions of education and learning and expose them for what they are; my own, personal values of my own preferred learning style.I'm going to much more careful about imposing/insisting on my ideal learning style from now on. I'm going to spend a lot more time thinking about how my students may be different from me and may need to be reached differently. In other words, I'm ready to wrestle the ego out of my teaching. Aside from all the cool techy stuff, I will be taking this fundamental knowledge from this course with me when it ends.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think that learning is something that takes place in all types of environments. I have always been someone that loves to learn but I usually learn the most when I am able to explore and find things out for myself. I think that this class has been one of the most stimulating and useful because of the tools that we are learning to use. I have slowly taken my time in exploring them and using them in different ways. I tend to use the tools when a need arises. I have a hard time using tools when I don't see a purpose for them. I tend to go with practicality and do what is useful. I actually think that I have learned A LOT of new things that are useful to me and my life. I think the hardest part is being able to show it virtually. In my everyday life I use these tools but I use them differently I guess. I'm still having a hard time switching my life over to a virtual presence because I'd much rather not worry about having to be online and contributing to online discussions when I could be having actual discussions with people I'm with. Regardless of this I still am learning and exploring what is happening.

    ReplyDelete